FINANCE - VEHICLE REGISTRATION AND LICENSING DIVISION
DIVISION HEAD: Naomi O’Dell, VRL Administrator
Motor Vehicle Registration, Aupuni Center, 101 Pauahi Street, Suite 5, Hilo, HI 96720
For information on vehicle registration - (808) 961-8351
Driver’s License & PMVI, 349 Kapiolani Street, Hilo, HI 96720
For information on driver license, state identification, CDL and taxi permits - (808) 961-2222
For information on safety check inspections and taxi cab inspections - (808) 961-2320
Pahoa Vehicle Registration & Licensing, 15-2615 Keaau-Pahoa Road, Pahoa, HI 96778
For information on motor vehicle registration and driver’s license - (808) 965-2721
Kona Vehicle Registration & Licensing, West Hawaii Civic Center, 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
For information on motor vehicle registration, driver license, state identification - (808) 323-4818
For information on road test appointments, CDL, and state identification - (808) 323-4800
For information on safety check inspections, taxi driver permits and taxi inspections - (808) 323-4811
Waimea Vehicle Registration & Licensing Office, Waimea Center, 65-1158 Mamalahoa Hwy, Ste 1-A, Kamuela, HI 96743 (old Kamuela Deli site)
For information on motor vehicle registration, driver license and road test appointments
Telephone - (808) 881-3488
Ka’u Driver License, Na’alehu Police Station, 95-5355 Mamalahoa Highway, Na’alehu, HI 96772
Opened on Tuesday and Wednesday (by appointment only)
For information on driver license, road test appointments, and state identification - (808) 854-7214
DESCRIPTION: We at the Vehicle Registration and Licensing Division ,commonly referred to as the department of motor vehicles (DMV), are committed to providing quality customer service. We are responsible for motor vehicle registration and licensing, various county business licenses, bicycle and moped registration, driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, safety check inspections through the periodic motor vehicle inspection program, taxicab driver’s permit and inspections and the issuance of State of Hawaii identification cards.
E-MAIL ADDRESS: mailto:email@example.com
HOURS OF OPERATION: For location and hours of service for all offices please click on the General Information links below.
Driver’s Licensing Section
- Driver Licensing - General Information
- Limited Purpose Instruction Permit, Provisional Driver License and Driver’s License
- Limited Purpose License-Frequently Asked Questions
- Limited Purpose License - Additional Required Documents
- Commercial Driver Licensing - General Information
- Hawaii’s Legal Presence Law Information and Requirements
- Hawaii’s Proof of Principal Residence
- Hawaii State Identification Cards - General Information and Requirements**
- Veteran Designation
- List of Acceptable Documents
**State ID’s are available at the Hilo and Kona Offices only
***Limited Purpose Instruction Permit, Provisional Driver License and Driver’s License are available at the Hilo and Kona Offices effective January 4, 2016.
Vehicle Registration Section
- Motor Vehicles - General Information
- Motor Vehicles - Fee Information
- Bicycle and Moped Registration
- Motor Vehicle Licensing and Registration Forms
- Dog License Registration
- Registering a Trailer
- Business Licenses
Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection Section
- Hawai‘i law requires all motor vehicles to undergo a safety inspection once a year.
- Inspections are conducted at automobile dealerships, service stations and garages.
- To insure inspection technicians are complying with the state’s many safety provisions, motor vehicle inspectors conduct periodic reviews of their practices and facilities.
- Inspectors also investigate complaints regarding Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspections.
- The PMVI program ensures uniformity of periodic inspections as well as contributing to the safety of all highway users by reducing accidents due to mechanical defects on vehicles.
- There are about 250 active licensed inspection technicians and about 132 inspection stations in the county of Hawai‘i.
- Four Motor Vehicle Inspectors and two Clerks currently staff the program on the island of Hawai‘i.
- When safety inspections are completed by inspection stations, the safety inspection information is updated electronically into the Statewide database. Updates may take up to 48 hours to reflect current safety inspection expiration date.
- All vehicles applying for registration in the County of Hawaii must be in compliance with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Standards as of the date of manufacture as required by Hawaii Revised Statutes 286-42. Non-compliant vehicles such as off road motorcycles, off road motor vehicles (including ATVs), and some military vehicles, imported vehicles, kit cars and modified vehicles may not be registered in the County of Hawaii. Contact the Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection Section directly for more information or assistance.
- Periodic Inspection Component List
Taxicab Rules and Regulations Section
- Mass Transit Agency Rule 69
- Taxi Driver Permit Rules and Regulations
- Hawaii County Code 18 (Chapter 18, section 18-31 thru 18-55)