PUBLIC WORKS - BUILDING DIVISION
DIVISION CHIEF: David Yamamoto
HOURS OF OPERATION: 7:45AM - 4:30PM, Monday-Friday
FRONT DESK CLERK ASSISTANCE 7:45 AM-3:30 Monday-Friday, except Wednesday in Hilo and Thursday in Kona to noon.
EAST HAWAI‘I: Aupuni Center, 101 Pauahi Street, Suite 7, Hilo, HI 96720
PHONE NUMBER: (808) 961-8331
FAX NUMBER: (808) 961-8410
WEST HAWAI‘I: 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway, Bldg E, 1st Floor, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
PHONE NUMBER: (808) 323-4720
FAX NUMBER: (808) 327-3509
The Building Division is responsible for administering and enforcing the building, plumbing, sign, and electrical codes. In addition to these codes, the division also enforces the outdoor lighting ordinance. The Building Inspection Section performs residential and commercial plan reviews for all building, electrical, sign, and plumbing permit applications and reviews these documents for compliance to current, applicable codes.
Janitorial and/or grounds maintenance aside from Parks and Recreational facilities is administered by the Building Division.
- Photovoltaic (PV) Energy Systems Bulletins:
- PV 2012-01 regarding:
- Iron Ridge Mounting Systems and mounting attachments: Unirac & Solar Mount
- Grace Solar Grasol roof mounting standard aluminum (6005-T5) rail
- PV 2012-05 regarding:
- Zilla Dual Grip Rail System and the Zilla Phantom system;
- SunEarth SolarStrut mounting system;
- ProStrut Aluminum Channel Rail mounting system;
- HatiCon Solar Rail ST-AK 13/60 mounting system;
- The SnapNrack PV Mounting System
- PV 2012-01 regarding:
ADA Certification (SUBMIT WITH BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION FOR NON RESIDENTIAL)
State Historic Property Requirements (SUBMIT WITH BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION FOR PROPERTIES OVER 50 YEARS OLD)
Building Permit Q & A (posted on facebook.com)
“Click and Check” A simple guide to search for issued permits
“What’s Your Sign?” A brochure on legal and illegal signage
Application for solar water heater
Installation of solar water heater tank on the roof of structure
Solar Water Heater drawing requirements are as follows:
- Solar water heater should be identified on the floor plan.
- Panels on the roof should be shown on the elevation drawings.
- Panels on the ground should be located on the site plan and complete drawings would be required for a structure.
- If both water tank and panels are to be placed on the roof, elevation drawings shall show location. Structural support details are required. Plans for tank on the roof require an Architect or Structural Engineer’s approval.
If a variance from the State Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT) requirements has been obtained, please remit a copy of the approval with your submittal. If a variance request is pending approval from the DBEDT office, note next to the proposed water heater, “Pending approval of solar water heater variance from DBEDT.