PUBLIC WORKS - HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE DIVISION
DIVISION SUPERINTENDENT: Vincent Kasarskis, on temporary assignment
HOURS OF OPERATION: 6:30AM - 3:00PM, Monday-Friday
PHONE NUMBER: (808) 961-8349
FAX NUMBER: (808) 961-8633
ROAD/BRIDGE ADVISORIES: http://traffic.hawaiicounty.gov
The Highway Maintenance Division is responsible for the repair, construction, maintenance, and improvement of all County roads and bridges, flood control structures, storm drainage systems, ditches, and culverts. Duties entail:
- Dry well (and catch basin) cleaning;
- Roadside maintenance, such as litter pick up and grass cutting within the county right of way;
- Silt, sand, stones, and other debris removal from storm drains;
- Trash pickup and streets swept in Kainaliu, Downtown Hilo, and Kailua Village.
- Build and repair sidewalks on county roads;
- Pothole repairs;
- Roadside and bridge maintenance;
- Vegetation management in ditches, culverts and within flood control systems;
- Remove dead animals over 50 lbs
- Road resurfacing, installing and repairing guardrails and,
- Semi-annual inspections of flood control systems done in accordance to United State Army Corps of Engineers requirements.
Property owners are responsible for trimming tree branches in the County right of way and for the maintenance of private storm drainage systems. The County is responsible under HRS 46-11-51 to keep streams and channels, free of debris unless streams are private or owned by the State.
Abandoned vehicles on County roads call Dept of Environmental Mgt 961-8552
Dead animals 50 lbs and under call the Humane Society: Kona 329-1175, Waimea 885-4558 and Puna 966-5458. Dead animals over 50 pounds on County roads call Highway Maintenance at 961-8349 and on State roads and highways call the State Highways Division 933-8866.
Call HELCO 969-6666 for tree branches growing near or into power lines along roadways, they service.