DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
Aupuni Center, 101 Pauahi Street, Suite 7, Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 961-8321 | Fax: (808) 961-8630
Follow us on Twitter: @dpwhi
DIRECTOR: Warren H. W. Lee, P.E.
DEPUTY DIRECTOR: Brandon Gonzalez
DESCRIPTION: The Department of Public Works is composed of six (6) divisions: Administration, Automotive, Building, Engineering, Highway Maintenance and Traffic. They administer regulatory and code enforcements to improve the health and safety of our ‘Ohana.
MISSION STATEMENT: Working together as ONE to improve the quality of service for the health and safety of our Big Island ‘Ohana.
VISION STATEMENT: We will be a premier Public Works department highly respected for the excellent services provided by our highly skilled and responsive employees.
Want to better understand what to do, where to go, or which division to see within Public Works and on our website? View and download our helpful Directory of Information & Services, or pick up a copy when you visit our office.
ADMINISTRATION: Prepares and processes contract documents for design and construction projects, moving permits, complaints, and general information.
AUTOMOTIVE: Responsible for the repair and maintenance of all County vehicles and equipment, except the equipment practically maintained by the respective departments. The division furnishes parts, labor, accessories, gasoline, diesel, lubricants and tires.
BUILDING: Responsible for inspections, plan reviews, enforcing compliance to the Hawai‘i County Code on building, electrical, plumbing and sign codes, and the design, construction and maintenance of County-owned facilities.
ENGINEERING: Primary responsibility is to plan, design, review, and construct road, bridge and flood control facilities. The division also implements and enforces applicable regulatory requirements of Chapter 10 Hawai`i County Code (HCC), grading, grubbing and stockpiling, Chapter 22, HCC, work within County Right-of-Way, and Chapter 27, HCC, flood control. The division reviews subdivision, `ohana, variance, and change of zone applications.
HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE: Responsible for establishing safety programs, investigating complaints, conducting training, and the repair, construction, maintenance, and improvement of all County roads, flood control structures, and channels.
TRAFFIC: Responsible for the maintenance and operation of all streetlights, traffic signals, traffic signs and markings, and other traffic control facilities and devices on state and county roads.
Resources & Information
- Directory of Information & Services
- Bid Information
- State & County Procurement Notice
- Forms & Permit Applications
- Roadwork and Bridge closures
- Traffic Alert - Māmalahoa Hwy at Nāpo‘opo‘o Junction, Kona,
- Traffic Signal Energizing, Testing, and Activation for Kapi‘olani St. and Lanikāula St. Intersection
- Road Closed to Thru Traffic on Haihai St Between Iwalani St. and Laula Rd.
- Roadway Resurfacing Work on Kekūanāo’a St.
- Temporary Travel Lane Shift For Nāpō‘o po‘o Road
- Hōkūli‘a / Māmalahoa Bypass Road Update
- Preparation Work To Begin On The Henry St. And Alahou St. Intersection For Upcoming Installation Of Traffic Signals.
- Shoulder Work on Waikoloa Road Continues
- Traffic Shift For Nāpō‘Opo‘O Road And Māmalahoa Highway Intersection Improvement Project
- Komohana Street Reconstruction Work
- Asphalt Concrete Shoulder Work on Waikoloa Road
- Kapi‘olani Street Extension Traffic Advisory
- Hōkūli‘a / Māmalahoa Bypass Road Update Aug. 5, 2016
- Kahana Drive Bridge repair and restoration project has been completed
- Installation of Right Turn lane on Kuauli Road Completed
- Hakalau Bridge on Kanna Road Now Open
- Māmalahoa Highway Roadway Improvement Project (Kamāmalu St. and Iona Ct.) Completed.
- Past Releases:
- Public Meetings:
- Flood Awareness
- Traffic Safety Education
- Roads in Limbo inventory
- Public Water Spigots
- County Code
- Human Resources
- Language Access Plan
- Internal Complaint Procedures