DEPARTMENT OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
East Hawai‘i: 25 Aupuni Street, Suite 1301, Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 961-8366 | Fax: (808) 935-1205
West Hawai‘i: 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway, Bldg C, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
DIRECTOR: Kawehi Inaba
DEPUTY DIRECTOR: Donn S. Mende
DESCRIPTION: The mission of the department is to provide pro-active leadership, enhancing the quality of life, and sustainability of Hawai‘i Island communities through programs related to: agriculture, energy, tourism, economic development, community development, and film.
Department Program Areas
Economic Development Grants for Fiscal Year 2016-2017
The Department of Research and Development is soliciting proposals for economic development grant awards in preparation for the 2016-2017 fiscal year. The intent of the grant program is to support sustainable economic development in agriculture, business development, energy, film, STEM, and tourism.
Sealed proposals must be received on or before 4:30 p.m. Hawai‘i-Aleutian Standard Time, Friday, April 22, 2016, in either of two County of Hawai‘i Department of Research and Development locations. In Hilo, deliver to 25 Aupuni Street, Room 1301, Hilo, Hawai‘i 96720. in Kona, deliver to 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway, Building C (Second Floor,) Kailua-Kona, Hawai‘i 96740. The deadline noted above is not a post mark date. Proposals must be received by the County by the above referenced deadline at eather of the locations described above. Proposals received after the deadline will not be considered and will be returned to the applicant unopened.
- Exhibit A-1 Grant Application Form (MS Word)
- Exhibit A-2 Project Budget Form - INCOME (MS Word)
- Exhibit A-2 Project Budget Form - EXPENSES (MS Word)
- Exhibit A-2 Project Budget Form (MS Excel)
- Exhibit A-3 Organizational Information and Document Cover Sheet (MS Word)
Public Information Sessions will be held:
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. - West Hawai‘i Civic Center Community Hale Building G
- Friday, February 19, 2016, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. - Aging and Disability Resource Center Training Room, 1005 Kinoole Street, Hilo
New: Kona Street Eatz
NOTICE TO MOBILE FOOD VENDORS
INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE
To Operate a Mobile Food Vending Stand Via a Lease At Kailua-Kona Mobile Food Vending Zone
(Kuakini Highway), Kailua-Kona, County of Hawai‘i
Applications are available to participate in the County of Hawai‘i’s Mobile Food Vending Pilot Program in Kailua-Kona. Applications are available by email request at FoodTruck@hawaiicounty.gov. Responses are to be submitted prior to 4:30 p.m. HST, February 2, 2016. At that time a list of qualified vendors will be established. Vendors may continue to submit applications after the deadline and be considered for any additional open spaces.
Questions regarding this notice may be directed to Vivian Landrum, Project Manager at (808) 936-9843.
R. KAWEHI INABA, Director of Research and Development
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE MOBILE TEAM - IN HILO
Download Flyer Here
Two Days Only!
The Consulate’s Mobile Team will conduct the following consular services:
- Passport Renewal (fee $60.00, cash only)
- Acceptance of Applications for: Notary Services; Authentication of Documents; Reports of Birth and Marriage; Dual Citizenship
- Administer the oath of allegiance for qualified dual citizenship applicants at 3:00 p.m. on February 20 and 10:00am on February 21, 2016. (Applicants should submit their applications for dual citizenship before February 8, 2016 to the Consulate to qualify for oath taking). Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the oath taking ceremony!
- Answer our kababayans’ questions and concerns on matters relative to Consular services.
- February 20, 2016 (Saturday) from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- February 21, 2016 (Sunday) from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
WHERE: County of Hawai‘i, Aupuni Center Conference Room at 101 Pauahi Street, Hilo
Important Notice: Please bring your latest Passport, two copies of passport page with personal data and photograph, and two copies of Alien Card (front and back).
Appointments highly recommended!
For appointments and/or additional information, please contact: Tulpe Day, Telephone Number 961-8220
County of Hawai‘i Monthly Economic Statistics for 2015
County of Hawai‘i Local Economic Indicators as of December, 2015
West Hawai‘i Business Action Center Day
On Thursday, February 11, 2016, from 9:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m., a representative of the State of Hawai‘i Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) Business Action Center (BAC) will be at our West Hawai‘i Office to assist with the following (download the Flyer and Schedule):
- Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
- Register a business entity, trade name, or trade mark
- File a DCCA annual report (to stay in good standing)
- Make changes to your business’ information on record with the DCCA
- Department of Taxation
- Apply for a General Excise Tax License: Hawai‘i’s basic business license
- Update your GET license account information
- Obtain information on how and where to file your GET returns
- Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Get information on how to register as an employer
- Federal Internal Revenue Service
- Learn how to obtain a Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN)
- Other Licenses and Permits and Information
- Ask about other state and county agencies that issue licenses and permits
- Find information on other government requirements pertaining to your business/industry and other resources available to small businesses
The Hawai‘i County Business Resource Center
The Department of Research and Development opened the first Hawai‘i County Business Resource Centers in our Hilo and Kailua-Kona offices in November 2015. Our goal is to provide information, support, and connection to services for both existing small business owners and to anyone thinking of starting a business in Hawai‘i County.
How to Start a Business in Hawai‘i County - a new resource guide to successful business development
ECIVIS GRANTS NETWORK - GRANTS RESEARCH AND KNOWLEDGEBASE
The Department of Research and Development’s subscription to eCivis Grants Network is available at no cost to any community-based nonprofit organization on Hawai‘i Island.
The subscription includes two modules: Grants Network and KnowledgeBase. Grants Network is an online database of federal and foundation funding. It includes links to all applicable forms and grants guidance, and includes many examples of previously funded applications. KnowledgeBase is a 24/7 grants training center that contains a valuable resource library, glossary and online tutorials.
For free access from any internet connection, please download, complete, and submit the simple one-page application for access to the Department of Research and Development. Submission instructions are included on the application form.
- Exhibit C-1 Progress Report Form - MS Word
- Exhibit C-1 Progress Report Form - PDF
- Exhibit C-2 Final Report Form - MS Word
- Exhibit C-2 Final Report Form - PDF
- Exhibit C-3 Final Financial Report Form - MS Word
- Exhibit C-3 Final Financial Report Form - PDF
- Sample Corporate Resolution
- Sample In-Kind Contribution Donation Letter
Closed Funding Opportunities
- Economic Development Grants for Fiscal Year 2015-2016
- Economic Development Grants for Fiscal Year 2014-2015
- Targeted Funding for Value Added Facilities that Promote Agricultural Products Grown on Hawai‘i Island
- County Product Enrichment Program (CPEP)
- R&D Supplemental Funding Awards