Acceptable Documents

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Proof of Name & Date of Birth

  • Valid, unexpired Out-of-State, U.S. territorial or Canadian driver’s license
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign passport with appropriate Immigration Document(s)
  • U.S. Immigration and Naturalization documents
  • Alien registration/refugee identification card
  • Valid, unexpired State of Hawai‘i identification card with photo
  • U.S. Government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Proof of Social Security Number

  • Social Security card in name of applicant (no copies or metal plates). Get a Social Security card.
  • Valid Driver’s license with social security number and photo
  • Valid State of Hawaii identification card with social security number and photo
  • Valid Military identification card with social security number
  • Medicare identification card with suffix “A”, “M”, “T” or “TA”
  • W-2 tax form issued from previous year

Proof of Name Change

  • Certified marriage certificate, displaying name change
  • State issued marriage certificate with seal
  • Certified divorce decree displaying name change
  • Certified decree of name change issued by the courts or Lt. Governor’s Office, State of Hawai‘i.

Proof of Principal Residence Address

Two (2) documents required (If your post office box is your mailing address, you must also bring in a document with your physical address listed) from the list below.

Note: Present any two of the following documents that contain the applicant’s name and the address of the applicant’s principal residence within the State of Hawaii.

  • Vehicle registration or Title issued at least 30 days before the application date
  • Valid Driver’s License issued
  • Voter Notification Postcard (yellow card) or other mail addressed to the applicant from a government or medical entity
  • Utility bill with the applicant’s name and address not more than 2 months old
  • Checking or savings account statement not more than 2 months old
  • Payroll check or check stub with applicant’s name and address issued by an employer within 2 months of the application date
  • Mortgage account or proof of home ownership
  • Residential Rental or Time-Share Agreement for six (6) months or more (Month-to-month agreements will not be accepted)
  • United States income tax return, W-2 form or 1099 SSA benefits form from the previous year
  • Hawai`i income tax return or W-2 form from the previous year
  • Receipt for personal property taxes paid to a County within the State of Hawai`i within the last year
  • For an individual claiming that the individual had no income to file a tax return and is receiving State welfare assistance, a document from the Hawai`i State Department of Human Services dated not more than ninety (90) days prior to the application for a driver’s license or commercial driver’s license certifying that the individual is receiving State of Hawai`i public assistance
  • Medical card issued by a health insurance agency with applicant’s name and address
  • Documentation dated not more than ninety (90) days prior to making application that the individual is receiving State of Hawai`i public assistance
  • Current Property Tax assessment form
  • Department of Taxation Form A-6, application for tax clearance with applicant’s name and address
  • Homeless applicants may use the address of their current shelter agency or, if not staying in a shelter, may use the general delivery of the post office nearest where they spend most of their time
  • Applicants documenting enrollment in a State or Federal address confidentiality program which allows an applicant to obtain and use alternative addresses may use an alternative address on the card, but must provide the applicant’s permanent address for file purposes.
  • In areas where a number and street name have not been assigned for United States mail delivery, an address convention used by the United States Postal Service is acceptable
  • Spouse or parent affidavit, provided the spouse or parent’s address can be verified

Proof of Citizenship

U.S. Citizen

  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of birth that bears an official seal and was issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (Form FS-545 or DS 1350)

Lawful Permanent Resident

  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
  • Lawful Permanent Resident
  • Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Temporary I-551 stamp in foreign passport
  • Temporary I-551 stamp on Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with photograph of the bearer
  • Reentry Permit (Form I-327)