WarningLatest information on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) from the County of Hawaiʻi Civil Defense Agency:

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Can I use a rental vehicle to take my road test?

    No, the insurance coverage for rental vehicles do not extend to unlicensed drivers.

  • How long is my written test valid for?

    The written test for Class 1, 2 and 3 is valid for thirty days. Commercial driver license tests are valid for one year.

  • I am in Maine and have lost my license. Can my mother come in to pay for another one for me?

    No. You must send us a letter requesting a duplicate license and appropriate fee ($6). Your letter must have your name as it appears on your license, your driver’s license number or social security number, your date of birth, a telephone number or email address, your signature and an address where we can forward your license to.

  • I currently hold a CDL and my license was revoked for driving under the influence by the Administrative Driver’s License Revocation Office. What happens to my CDL?

    We are required by law to “withdraw” your CDL for a period of one year. After the one year period ends, you must re-apply as a new applicant and pay a reinstatement fee.

  • I currently hold a CDL and the courts suspended my CDL for driving under the influence. How does that affect my license?

    We are required by law to “withdraw” your CDL for a period of one year. After the one year period ends, you must pay a reinstatement fee before we will give you back your license.

  • I received a letter which says, “Order of Security Requirement or Suspension”. What do I need to do?

    You are receiving this letter because of your recent involvement in a motor vehicle traffic accident. If you had insurance on the vehicle you were operating at the time of the accident, contact your insurance company and inform them that you are required to submit the Form SR-21. Be prepared to provide your insurance company with a copy of the letter. We must receive the Form SR-21 before the “order effective date” located on the bottom of the letter. The Form SR-21 is verification of insurance. Even though you showed the Police Officer your insurance card at the time of the accident we are required by law to obtain verification. If you did not have insurance at the time of the accident, you must comply by providing a Security Deposit as stated on the letter, obtain a Release from Liability from the other party whose property was damaged, or provide evidence of an installment agreement that you have entered into. If you are unable to do any of the five items, your license will be suspended for a period of two years.

  • My child is 15 ½ and wants to get her permit. Her father does not live in Hawai‘i, and we have joint custody. Does he need to sign for her permit?

    Yes. Your daughter may come in to take the written test. She must present a certified copy of her birth certificate, social security card and divorce decree showing custody. In addition, if your name has changed, you will need to present name change documents (divorce decree, marriage certificate). We will complete an application card for you to send to her father for his signature. Father must sign in front of a Notary Public. The written test will be held for 30 days.

  • My insurance card is expired. Can I use a fax copy or bring in my policy?

    You must bring in a fraudulent resistant insurance card. We are unable to accept a faxed copy or use your policy.