- Complete a driver license application for an Instruction Permit
- Present Identifying documents for proof of name, date of birth and social security number (See list of Acceptable Documents)
- Present original or certified copies of document(s) for proof of legal presence
- Present two (2) documents for Proof of Residence Address ((If your post office box is your mailing address, you must also bring in a document with your physical address listed)
- Complete and pass vision screening
- Complete and pass 30-question written exam
- You must have a clear driving status on the National Driver Registry.
The Instruction permit is valid for one year and allows you to drive with a licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age or older. You may renew the instruction permit 30-days prior to expiration.
Minors please see “Special Requirements for Minors” for additional requirements and information.
Road Test Requirements
- Road test appointments are available at the Hilo, Kona, Waimea, Pahoa and Na`alehu offices.
- You must present: valid unexpired instruction permit.
- Licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age or older.
- Current, original unexpired vehicle registration (decal must be on license plate).
- Current, yellow unexpired safety inspection form (decal must be on vehicle bumper).
- Valid, unexpired Hawai‘i State Insurance Card.
- All names on all documents must match.
- Photocopies, faxes, internet printouts, policies are not accepted.
- Vehicle must meet safety standards:
- Brake lights, turn signals, speedometer, and seat belts must be in working order;
- No cracks in the windshield;
- Front and rear license plates must be affixed to the vehicle in factory mounts;
- Power windows and locks must be in working order;
- Legal tinted windows.
- Vehicle must be clean (interior and exterior).
- No Rental or company cars.
You may be refused a road test if vehicle is deemed unsafe or in unacceptable condition.
Road Tests may be cancelled by the examiner due to inclement weather or unforeseen emergencies as deemed necessary without notice to the general public.
Written Test and Road Test Locations & Hours
The following table is a list of driver licensing offices around the island and written tests/road tests hours.
|Office||Location||Written Test Hours||Road Test Hours||Phone#|
|Hilo||349 Kapiolani St||8:00 AM- 3:00 PM**||By Appointment||(808)961-2222|
65-1158 Mamalahoa Hwy, 1A
|8:00 AM- 3:00 PM**||By Appointment Only||(808) 881-3488|
|Kailua-Kona||West Hawaii Civic Center
74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway
|8:00AM- 3:00 PM**||By Appointment Only||(808) 323-4800|
|Na‘alehu||95-5355 Mamalahoa Hwy||By Appointment Only||By Appointment Only||808) 854-7214|
|Pahoa||15-2615 Keaau-Pahoa Rd||8:00 AM - 3:00 PM**||By Appointment Only||(808) 965-2721|
**Note: If you are not issued a Written Test by 3:00 PM, you will be advised to return the following day
To schedule an appointment, please call your nearest Driver’s License office or email email@example.com for Hilo, Waimea, Pahoa or Na`alehu or email firstname.lastname@example.org for Kailua-Kona.