- Complete a driver license application;
- Present your valid unexpired out of state license;
- Present your original social security card;
- Present your original or certified copy of document(s) for proof of legal presence;
- Present two (2) documents for Proof of Residence Address (If your post office box is your mailing address, you must also bring in a document with your physical address listed)
- Complete and pass vision screening;
- You must have a clear driving status on the National Driver Registry.
Refer to “List of Acceptable Documents”
You are required to turn in your out of state license. If you do not have your out of state license in your possession and do not turn it in, you are required to apply as a new applicant for an Instruction Permit, take a written and road test. Your name on your driver’s license and social security card must match. Upon passing a 30 question written test you will be issued an instruction permit which allows you to drive with a licensed driver 21 years of age or older. Upon successfully passing a road test, a Hawaii driver’s license will be issued. Road tests by appointment only.