WarningLatest information on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) from the County of Hawaiʻi Civil Defense Agency:

Limited Purpose License - Additional Required Documents

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Applicant’s for initial and renewal of limited purpose cards are required to provide original or certified documents to prove Legal Name, Date of Birth and Principal Residence. Photocopies or faxes will not be accepted except for Proof of Principal Residence.

If your current name is different from the name shown on your documents (examples: due to marriage, divorce, adoption, name change or naturalization) you will need to provide “connecting documents” to establish the link between the names.

Additional Acceptable Government Documents for Legal Name and Date of Birth

  • A valid, unexpired consular identification document issued by a consulate from the applicant’s country of citizenship, or a valid, unexpired passport from the applicant’s country of citizenship;
  • An original birth certificate or other proof of age, as designated by the examiner of drivers;
  • An official school or college transcript that includes that applicant’s date of birth or a foreign school record that is sealed and includes a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued;
  • An official school or college identification card that includes the applicant’s full name and a photograph of the applicant at the time the identification was issued:
  • DHS Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status) or Form DS-2019 (Certificate for eligibility for Exchange Visitor Program); Form I-589 (Application for Asylum and for withholding of Removal);
  • A United States Customs and Immigration Services Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival Approval Letter;
  • One of the following documents which, if in a language other than English, shall be accompanied by a certified translation or an affidavit of translation into English:
    • Marriage license or divorce certificate;
    • Foreign federal electoral photo card issued on or after January 1, 1991;
    • Foreign student identification card; or
    • Foreign driver’s license.

Acceptable Documents for Principal Residence

(Two Documents Required)

Principal Residence means the location where a person currently resides even if the residence location is temporary. Documents must indicate the applicant’s name and same residence address. If the two documents are not in the name of the applicant, completion of the Affidavit for Proof of Residence by the documents’ addressee must be completed.

  • Vehicle registration or title;
  • A current voter registration card or other mail addressed to the applicant from a government or medical entity that is not more than two (2) months old;
  • Utility bill that is not more than two (2) months old with applicant’s name and address;
    Checking or savings account statement not more than two (2) months old;
  • Payroll check or payroll check stub with applicant’s name and address issued by an employer within six (6) months of the application date;
  • Current mortgage account or proof of home ownership;
  • Residential rental or time-share agreement for six (6) months or more;
  • United States income tax return, W-2 or 1099 SSA benefits form from the previous year;
    Hawaii income tax return or W-2 form filed in the past two (2) years;
  • Receipt for personal property taxes paid to a county within the State of Hawaii within the last year;
  • For an individual claiming that the individual had no income to file a tax return and is receiving state welfare assistance, a document from the Hawaii state department of human services dated not more than ninety days prior to the application for a driver’s license card certifying that the individual is receiving state assistance;
  • Medical card issued by a Hawaii health insurance agency with principal residence address printed on it;
  • Documentation dated not more than ninety days prior to making application that the individual is receiving State of Hawaii public assistance;
  • Current property tax assessment bill or statement
  • A stamped department of taxation form A-6, application for tax clearance that is not more than six (6) months old;
  • Homeless applicants may use the address of their current shelter agency, or if not staying in a shelter, may use the general delivery of the post office nearest where they spend most of their time;
  • Applicants documenting enrollment in a State or Federal address confidentiality program which allows an applicant to obtain and use alternate addresses may use an alternate address on the card but must provide the applicant’s permanent address for file purposes;
  • In areas where a number and street name have not been assigned for U.S. mail delivery, an address convention used by the U.S. Postal Service is acceptable;
  • Affidavit indicating that the applicant currently resides with the affiant, provided the affiant’s address can be verified and the affidavit is notarized within two (2) months of the application date;
  • A valid identification card for health benefits or an assistance or social services program.