Documents presented for proof must be valid originals or certified copies. Photo copies or faxes are not acceptable proof. Documents presented must be in good condition. We do not accept documents that have been taped, is torn or have holes punched in them. We must be able to read pertinent information on document.
|Document Description||Legal Name1||Date of Birth||Social Security Number||Legal Presence||Proof of Residence Address (2 documents required)|
|U.S. State, Local Government-issued Certificate of Birth||X||X||X|
|U.S. Government-issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad||X||X||X|
|Valid U.S. Passport or Passport Card||X||X||X|
|Valid Foreign Passport with Appropriate Immigration Document(s)||X||X||X2|
|Certificate of Citizenship (N560)||X||X||X|
|Certificate of Naturalization (N550)||X||X||X|
|Valid U.S. Jurisdiction-issued DL/ID/Photo Learner’s Permit (Photo Learner’s Permit must include signature)||X||X||X (a)|
|Valid U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID Card (DOD ID DD-214)||X||X (a)||X (a)|
|Valid DOD Common Access Card (CAC) (Card must contain photo, name, DOB, branch of service and military status.)||X||X (a)|
|Valid U.S. Uniform Services ID and Privileges Card (DD1173)||X||X (a)||X (a)|
|Social Security Card||X|
|SSA-1099 form issued within the last year||X (b)|
|Non SSA-1099 form issued within the last year||X (b)|
|Valid DHS/USCIS I-551 Resident Alien Card issued since 1997.||X||X||X|
|Valid DHS/USCIS I-688 Temporary Resident Identification Card||X||X||X|
|Valid DHS/USCIS I-688B, I-766 Employment Authorization Card||X||X||X|
|DHS/USCIS I-797 Notice of Action||X|
|Court Order for Name Change/Gender Change/ Adoption/Divorce – no others (Legal Name / DOB / Court Seal required to accept the order)||X|
|Marriage Certificate / Civil Union Certificate (Government Issued)||X|
|U.S. Department of Receptions and Placement Program Assurance Form (Refugee)||X|
|Current valid Vehicle Registrationor Title||X|
|Valid Hawaii State ID card||X||X||X|
|Voter Registration Card or Other Mail Addressed to the Applicant from a Government or Medical Entity that is not more than two months old||X|
|Utility Bill with Applicant’s Name and Address (not more than Two( 2) months from application date)||X|
|Checking or Savings Account Statement not more than Two (2) months old||X|
|Payroll Check or Check Stub with Applicant’s Name and Address issued by an Employer not more than two months old||X|
|Current Mortgage Account or Proof of Home Ownership||X|
|Current Residential Rental or Time-Share Contract for Six (6) Months or More||X|
|Wage and Tax Statement Form W-2 or 1099R, provided the Social Security Number is printed on the document, original or certified copy issued within the last year. Printed electronically transmitted copy is okay.||X(b)||X|
|Receipt for Personal Property Taxes Paid or Current Property Tax Assessment Form||X|
|Medical Card issued by a Health Insurance Agency, Provided the Principal Residence Address is Printed on the Card||X|
|Documentation Dated Not More Than Ninety (90) Days Prior to Making Application that the Individual is Receiving State of Hawai‘i Public Assistance||X|
|Homeless Applicants may use the Address of their Current Shelter Agency, or, if not staying in a shelter, may use the General Delivery of the Post Office nearest where they spend most of their time||X|
|Spouse or Parent Affidavit, provided the Spouse or Parent’s Address can be Verified.||X|
|In Areas where a Number and Street Name have not been assigned for United States Mail Delivery, an Address Convention used by the United States Postal Service is Acceptable.||X|
1Different name on resource items will require the applicant to provide various items from the list and may result in an exception procedure.
2The appropriate immigration document(s) determine legal presence. Not the passport itself.
- A valid U.S. Jurisdiction issued DL/ID Photo Learner’s Permit, CAC or DOD ID DD-214 can be used as evidence of legal names, date of birth and social security number only if the information is presented on the document being submitted.
- If name and complete Social Security Number are not printed on the document it cannot be used.
- If you use a post office box as your mailing address, bring in one document showing your post office box address and one with your residence address.
List of Acceptable Connecting Documents to Prove Legal Name Changes
- Court Order for Name Change / Adoption / Divorce – no others (Legal Name / DOB / Court Seal required to accept the order)
- Marriage Certificate (Government Issued)
- Certified decree of name change from the State of Hawaii Lieutenant Governor’s Office
- Naturalization Certificate
Please see a Representative if you require further assistance with your Documentation
Acceptable Documents for Veteran Designation
Effective October 1, 2014
Note: Applicable to any person who served in any of the uniformed services of the United States and was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
Documents must be an original or certified copy. The Office of Veterans Services (OVS) provides a stamp marker with the initials of the OVS staff to certify copies of the DD Form 214.
- DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
The Defense Department issues to each veteran a DD-214, identifying the veteran’s condition of discharge - honorable, general, other than honorable, dishonorable or bad conduct. Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, and the NAVCG 553.
- WD AGO 53-55 (Enlisted Record and Report of Separation Honorable Discharge)
- NAVPERS 553 (Notice of Separation from U.S. Naval Service)
- NAVMC 78PD (U.S. Marine Corps Report of Separation)
- NAVCG 553 (Notice of Separation from U.S. Coast Guard)
- NGB Form 22 (National Guard Report of Separation from Active Duty)
- Official Military Orders
- Discharge Certificate
- Military Retired Identification Card (DD Form 2, Retired)
- Verification letter issued by the Veterans Administration
- Verification letter issued by the Office of Veterans Services
- Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC)