The following lists the requirements to switch from out of state license plates to Hawaii license plates and obtain Hawaii County registration:
- Complete and sign the Application for Registration form.
- Submit the last issued out of state certificate of registration.
- Submit the last issued out of state certificate of title if you are listed as the lienholder.
- Submit a bill of lading or shipping receipt, which shows the date the vehicle arrived in Hawaii County.
- Submit a current Hawaii certificate of safety inspection. (A temporary safety inspection failed for “Registration” is acceptable to register your vehicle).
- If vehicle’s year model is previous, current or subsequent year (ex. 2010, 2011, or 2012), submit a State of HI form G-27 form with any required attachments. This form may be obtained from the State of Hawaii Department of Taxation. Questions regarding the G-27 form should be directed to the Hawaii District Tax Office at 808-974-6321.
- If we do not have the weight of the vehicle as established by the manufacturer, you may be required to have the vehicle weighed at a state certified scale.
Registration personnel will determine the required fees.
All vehicles applying for registration in the County of Hawaii must be in compliance with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Standards as of the date of manufacture as required by Hawaii Revised Statutes 286-42. Non-compliant vehicles such as off road motorcycles, off road motor vehicles (including ATVs), and some military vehicles, imported vehicles, kit cars and modified vehicles may not be registered in the County of Hawaii. Contact Motor Vehicle Control Inspectors at (808) 640-7339 or (808) 640-7342 for more information or further assistance.