WarningLatest information on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) from the County of Hawaiʻi Civil Defense Agency:

Special Instructions For Non-Resident Military

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Members of the United States Armed Forces on active duty stationed at a military installation in Hawaii and who are residents of another state are exempt from payment of Hawaii’s motor vehicle registration fees. Individuals who are members of a reserve component on temporary active duty do not qualify for this exemption. If you qualify and want to be exempt from the tax, you must submit a completed Non-Resident Certificate Form MVR/DF10. A completed form is required each time you are applying for the following:

  • Renewal of a Hawaii registration.
  • Hawaii registration of a vehicle previously registered in another state or county.
  • Hawaii registration of a newly purchased vehicle, and
  • For transfer of ownership of a previously Hawaii registered vehicle.

Should you leave active duty, change your residency to Hawaii or are stationed out of the state of Hawaii but your vehicle remains in Hawaii, you are no longer exempt from Hawaii’s motor vehicle weight tax. To avoid a penalty for delinquent registration, you must re-register your vehicle within 30 days of the effective date of your change in status.

Registration personnel will determine the amount of the registration fees that must be paid.