The following are the requirements to obtain special license plates:
- Submit $25.00 along with a completed application for special plates.
- If more than one application for the same special plate is received, the application first processed will have priority.
You will be notified by mail when the plates are ready for pickup. At that time, you will be asked to:
- Submit the vehicle’s certificate of registration. Pay an emblem replacement fee of 50 cents. If the registration has expired or will expire within 45 days, you must also pay for the renewal fees.
- Submit a current certificate of safety inspection.
Please adhere to the following guidelines when ordering special license plates:
- Limited to six letters, numerals, or combination thereof. A space between a letter and number is counted as one of the six letter-numeral combinations.
- Only one hyphen is allowed in addition to the six letter-number combinations. The hyphen may be used to replace a letter or number. No other punctuation marks are allowed.
All requested numbers, letters or combinations that are misleading, publicly objectionable, or letter-number combination of regular issued plates, will be denied.
The cost is $25.00 upon initial application and is not prorated. After the special plates are issued, a $25.00 annual charge will be added to your registration fees upon each renewal of the vehicle registration . The plates are valid until the design of the license plates is changed.
Applications can be obtained at any Vehicle Registration & Licensing Office.