The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) in cooperation with the counties of Hawaii, Honolulu, Kauai, and Maui are pleased to announce that a veteran designation will be available for Hawaii driver’s licenses, state ID’s, and instruction permits effective October 1, 2014.
Persons who served in any of the uniformed services of the United States and received a discharge other than dishonorable are eligible. Applicants must provide proof of qualification. Acceptable documents include:
- DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
- NGB Form 22 (National Guard Report of Separation from Active Duty)
- Prior to January 1, 1950 – WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO, 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, NAVCG 553, DD Form 217
- Discharge Certificate reflecting characterization of discharge
- Verification letter issued by the Veterans Administration
- Verification letter issued by the Office of Veteran Services
- Military Retired Identification Card (DD Form 2, Retired)
- Official Military Orders
- Veteran’s Health Identification Card (VHIC)
Applicants requiring a DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge, or other Military Documents to verify Veteran and Military eligibility status may go to www.archives.gov/veterans/military-services-records and follow the steps outlined for either an online application request or follow procedures to print, populate, and mail out a Standard Form (SF) 180 request.
Applicants may also contact:
- National Personnel Records Center: (314) 801-0800
- Hawaii State Office of Veterans Services: (808) 433-0420, Tripler Army Medical Center, 459 Patterson Road, E-Wing, Room 1-A103, Honolulu, HI 96819-1522
Applicants whose driver’s license, permit, or state ID’s are not within the renewal period may add the veteran designation by applying for a duplicate by presenting one of the documents listed above. Regular duplicate fees will apply.
New or Renewal License/ID
Applicants for new or renewal driver’s licenses, instructional permits, and state ID’s are required to provide the necessary documents for proof of name, date of birth, social security number, principal residence and legal presence status. More information is available at the following sites:
Customers with specific questions may contact their county driver license/ state ID office at:
- County of Hawaii: 961-2222
- City & County of Honolulu: 532-7730
- County of Kauai: 241-4242
- County of Maui: 270-7363 (Molokai: 553-9067, Lanai: 565-7878)