The Department of Public Works is composed of six (6) divisions: Administration, Automotive, Building, Engineering, Highway Maintenance and Traffic. They administer regulatory and code enforcements to improve the health and safety of our ‘Ohana.
Mission Statement: Working together as ONE to improve the quality of service for the health and safety of our Big Island ‘Ohana.
Vision Statement: We will be a premier Public Works department highly respected for the excellent services provided by our highly skilled and responsive employees.
Want to better understand what to do, where to go, or which division to see within Public Works and on our website? View and download our helpful Directory of Information & Services, or pick up a copy when you visit our office.
Administration: Prepares and processes contract documents for design and construction projects, moving permits, complaints, and general information.
Automotive: Responsible for the repair and maintenance of all County vehicles and equipment, except the equipment practically maintained by the respective departments. The division furnishes parts, labor, accessories, gasoline, diesel, lubricants and tires.
Building: Responsible for inspections, plan reviews, enforcing compliance to the Hawai‘i County Code on building, electrical, plumbing and sign codes, and the design, construction and maintenance of County-owned facilities.
Hours of Operation: 7:45AM - 4:30PM, Monday-Friday
Front Desk Clerk Assistance 7:45AM - 3:30PM Monday-Friday
(Except Wednesday in Hilo and Thrusday in Kona hours are 7:45AM-12PM).
Building Permit Intake received at the Building Division during the following hours:
- Monday-Friday (Except Wednesday) 7:45AM - 3:30PM. Please sign in by 3:00PM
- Wednesday 7:45AM - 12:00PM. Please sign in by 11:30AM
- Monday-Friday (Except Thursday) 7:45AM - 3:30PM. Please sign in by 3:00PM
- Thursday 7:45AM - 12:00PM. Please sign in by 11:30AM
Engineering: Primary responsibility is to plan, design, review, and construct road, bridge and flood control facilities. The division also implements and enforces applicable regulatory requirements of Chapter 10 Hawai`i County Code (HCC), grading, grubbing and stockpiling, Chapter 22, HCC, work within County Right-of-Way, and Chapter 27, HCC, flood control. The division reviews subdivision, `ohana, variance, and change of zone applications.
Highway Maintenance: Responsible for establishing safety programs, investigating complaints, conducting training, and the repair, construction, maintenance, and improvement of all County roads, flood control structures, and channels.
Traffic: Responsible for the maintenance and operation of all streetlights, traffic signals, traffic signs and markings, and other traffic control facilities and devices on state and county roads.
Current News, Advisories and Alerts
- Ongoing Waimea Roadwork to Impact Traffic Through mid-December
- Traffic Signal Work at Kamehameha Ave. / Manono St. in Hilo Sunday, July 14
- Key Kea’au Intersection to be Impacted by Traffic Signal Work Sunday, June 30
- Upcoming Ali’i Drive Culvert Replacement Work is Focus of May 17 Community Meeting in Kona
- Community Meeting Regarding Federal Flood Mitigation Project for Waiākea-Palai Streams Slated for May 21
- Effective June 1, 2017- please submit all Electrical, Plumbing, Solar Water Heater and PV permit applications directly to the Building Division for processing.
- Information on Hakalau Stream Bridge Closure.
- The Final Enviromental Assessment for Puna Subdivision Connector Roads to Volcano Highway has been published
Resources & Information
- Directory of Information & Services
- Bid Information
- State & County Procurement Notice
- Forms & Permit Applications
- Past Releases
- Past Road Alerts
- Public Meetings
- Flood Awareness
- Traffic Safety Education
- Roads in Limbo inventory
- Public Water Spigots
- County Code
- Human Resources
- Language Access Plan
- Internal Complaint Procedures