Business Resources provides information, support and connection to services for both existing businesses and to anyone thinking of starting a business in Hawai‘i County.
Beth Dykstra, Economic Development Specialist, Telephone (808) 961-8035
Marcia Yoshiyama, Economic Development Technician, Telephone (808) 961-8085
Free Entrepreneur Meetup Networking Group: A free Entrepreneur Meetup Networking Group meets on the second Wednesday of each month from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. at Pictures Plus 75-1006 Henry Street in Kailua-Kona and the second Thursday of each month from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. in the County Office of Aging Training Room at 1055 Kinoole Street, in Hilo. Sponsored by HIPlan and the East Hawai‘i Small Business Development Center. For more information contact Jason@hiplan.biz.
The Small Business Development Centers in Hilo and in Kailua-Kona at NELHA offer regular workshops and business events. Check their Business Events Calendars for their event schedule.
- The Kohala Center’s Rural and Cooperative Business Development Services program works to expand and strengthen Hawaii’s rural economies and food systems by providing cooperative and business development services to farmers, value-added producers, and small businesses. Services include: Cooperative Business Education, Group Facilitation and Organization,Strategic Project Planning,Feasibility Assessment, Business Planning, Market Analysis, Loan/Grant Application Assistance and Capitalization Strategies, Legal Document Assistance, Professional Referrals, Board and Member Trainings, Conflict Resolution.For assistance, complete and submit a Request for Assistance form.
- How to Start a Business in Hawai‘i County - a resource guide to successful business development
- Starting a Nonprofit - See The Foundation Center’s GRANTSPACE page for Nonprofit Startup Resources by State. One of these resources is Harbor Compliance’s “How to Start a Nonprofit in Hawaii.”
- Hawaii Small Business Development Center Network
- 2019 U.S. Small Business Administration Resource Guide for Small Business - Hawai‘i Edition
- Size Up Your Business
- The Hawai‘i Technology Development Corporation provides free legal assistance from the Business Law Corp (BLC) by appointment on the first and third Wednesdays of each month. Please schedule an appointment at the HTDC website. Additional appointments on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month are made available at the Patsy Mink Center; visit the MCBL website to make an appointment.
Business Action Center Days
Business Resources hosts a representative of the State of Hawai‘i Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) Business Action Center at our Hilo and Kailua-Kona offices on scheduled days from 9:30 a.m. until 2:15 p.m. Please note we are unable to process credit card payments, so be sure to bring a check or exact cash for any filing fees. The following services are provided:
- Register a business entity, trade name, or trade mark
- File a DCCA annual report (to stay in good standing)
- Make changes to your business’ information on record with the DCCA
- Apply for a General Excise Tax License: Hawai‘i’s basic business license
- Update your GET license account information
- Obtain information on how and where to file your GET returns
- Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Get information on how to register as an employer with the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations
- Learn how to obtain a Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN) with the Internal Revenue Service
- Ask about other state and county agencies that issue licenses and permits
- Find information on other government requirements pertaining to your business/industry and other resources available to small businesses
Hilo BAC Action Day Schedule - the first and third Thursdays of each month - (download the Flyer and Schedule)
- Thursday, July 4, 2019 - CLOSED Holiday
- Thursday, July 18, 2019
- Thursday, August 1, 2019
- Thursday, August 15, 2019
- Thursday, September 5, 2019
- Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Thursday, October 3, 2019
- Thursday, October 17, 2019
- Thursday, November 7, 2019
- Thursday, November 21, 2019
- Thursday, December 5, 2019
- Thursday, December 19, 2019
Kailua-Kona BAC Action Day Schedule - the second Thursdays of each month - (download the Flyer and Schedule)
- Thursday, July 11, 2019
- Thursday, August 8, 2019
- Thursday, September 12, 2019
- Thursday, October 10, 2019 CANCELLED
- Thursday, November 14, 2019
- Thursday, December 12, 2019
State Business Services
- Hawai‘i Business Express is the quick and easy way to start a business in the State of Hawai‘i. Use the step-by-step online wizard to file with multiple agencies or file a specific form directly with the State of Hawai‘i Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
- Hawai‘i Tax Online is a convenient amd secure way to obtain a State ID Tax Number, submit a BB-1, file tax returns, make payments, view letters, manage your accounts, and conduct other common transactions online with the Hawai‘i Department of Taxation.
- Hawai‘i State Trade Expansion Program (HISTEP) is a comprehensive program designed to assist Hawai‘i small businesses with their export development. Visit HiSTEP website for training announcements, program benefits, and eligibility information.
- State of Hawai‘i Business Portal
- Foreign Trade Program
- Enterprise Zone: The Enterprise Zone program is a state-county partnership that has been growing job opportunities on Hawai‘i Island for over 20 years by incentivizing business investment in areas with low income or high unemployment.
Federal Business Services
- Small Business Administration
- Business USA
- Internal Revenue Service Tax Information for Business
- IRS Tax Calendar for Business and the Self-Employed
- Assess Costs Everywhere provides manufacturers with the top reasons for investing and sourcing in the United States. With its analytic framework, links to public and private resources, and case studies, ACE is now available to help businesses assess total costs more accurately and enable informed decision-making.
- USDA Rural Development Programs
- Federal Business Opportunities - Search for active federal opportunities.
- Hawaii Procurement Technical Assistance Center (HI-PTAC)