Vision for Maunakea
MAUNAKEA to be a symbol of the Native Hawaiian culture: past, present and future – a cultural and natural treasure. This is about the protection and preservation of the historical and cultural specialness of this land, the most precious and beautiful of place and people.
A central theme of Maunakea should be of the Native Hawaiian heritage and the inseparability of nature and culture. It is about their explorations of the ocean to the discoveries of the universe. Hawaiians understood how the world was connected from the mountain to the sea. They explored the ocean and learned about the heavens to guide them. They believe that this majestic mountain is the earth’s connecting point to the rest of the universe. This is about the mountain being part of their soul.
This is about what Maunakea can be for the world:
- Maunakea to be a symbol of nations working together for the pursuit of peace and harmony, a beacon of hope and discovery for the world. This is not just about science. It is about combining culture and science. It is about respect and caring. It is about a quest for knowledge that will make us a better people and better stewards of this world.
- It is about Hawaiʻi to be globally recognized as a cultural and natural treasure. Hawaiʻi, a place on this earth where people live together peacefully and respectfully in harmony with nature. This is about Hawaiʻi and the cosmopolitan people (people of the world) where diversity is respected and celebrated.
- This is about the recognition of a deeply painful history of intrusions on the First Nation of Hawaiʻi, which today are reflected in issues such as Maunakea. It is about the wrongs done to indigenous people of the world whose scars remain fresh.
- Maunakea to be an opportunity for the gift of aloha to be presented to the world to make us better. This is about the mountain bringing people together.
“The world will turn to Hawaiʻi as they search for world peace because Hawaiʻi has the key… and that key is aloha.”
Quote by AUNTY PILAHI PAKI, 1970. She envisioned a 21st Century world in conflict that would look to Hawaiʻi for healing. Her definition for aloha became law (HRS §5-7.5).
Harry Kim, Mayor
March 1, 2019
Initiatives for Mauna Kea
Convene a core group representing different interests and expertise to provide direction and guidance in developing these initiatives
- Create a major cultural center to protect and preserve the historical and cultural specialness of Hawaiʻi and its people.
- Respectfully depict the painful wrongs done to the indigenous people of Hawaiʻi and the world
- Cultural center to emphasize the inseparability of nature and culture and aim to be a center of excellence in that field.
- Recognize and preserve the cultural qualities of Maunakea that make it a premier place to expand our knowledge of the universe.
- Establish an institute that invites the sharing of knowledge across disciplines among all ages, educational levels, beliefs, and nationalities.
- Connect the wonders of science to the minds of nā keiki.
- Create educational programs that combine science and culture for nā keiki and nā kūpuna, not just for learning but for the sheer joy and excitement of discovery (make learning exciting).
- Pursue the development of dynamic programs that stimulate careers in science and humanities.
- Establish an umbrella management authority for high-level decision-making over all matters affecting Maunakea from the base of the access road to the summit.
- To foster a broad and integrated vision for this umbrella management authority, ensure representation for Hawaiian affairs, science, culture, education, and a strong deference to the voices of the host island.
Beacon of hope for the world
- Be a model of how the people of the world can live together in harmony, to create a place for hoʻoponopono where people can come together to learn.
- Be a leader in national and international efforts to integrate culture and nature in heritage protection and interpretation, a status that establishes Maunakea as a monument of global significance.
- The opportunity of Maunakea becoming a global beacon of hope, peace and discovery.
Please view the printable version of Vision and Initiatives for Maunakea